“Seneca County, a great place to visit, a better place to live”
Town of Covert – Reacquired by Seneca County in 1819. The Village of Interlaken, previously known as Farmerville, was renamed by a teacher as part of a contest after visiting Interlaken, Switzerland.
Town of Fayette - Formerly known as Washington Township, it was renamed and reapportioned in 1808. Fayette is the largest town in the county. Famous Seneca Indian chief Red Jacket was born here.
Town of Junius – Created in 1803. The first settler was Thomas Beadle in 1795. Although much of Junius is agricultural, Waterloo Premium Outlets is located here and among the county’s biggest visitor draws.
Town of Lodi - Created in 1826 and named after Italian fortress with high banks. The bluff along Seneca Lake in Lodi, NY varies in height from ten to fifty feet.
Town of Ovid – Formed in 1794, the township was named by Simeon DeWitt as part of the military tract established after the Revolutionary War as payment to soldiers for their service. Original county seat.
Town of Romulus - Created in 1794 as part of the Military Tract lands to be given to American Revolution soldiers. Once consisted of 437.5 square miles (to Lake Ontario), now is 37.8 square miles.
Town of Seneca Falls - Formed from parts of Junius in 1829. Lawrence Van Cleef, the first settler, arrived on “The Flats” in 1789. Early settlement focused on making use of the falls on the Seneca River.
Town of Tyre - Created in 1829. The first white settler was Ezekiel Crane in 1794. A portion of the town includes the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. Site of the del Lago Resort & Casino.
Town of Varick - Created in 1830 out of a portion of Romulus. Named after Colonel Richard Varick. Encompasses shores on both Seneca and Cayuga Lakes; some portions consisted of Cranberry Marsh.
Town of Waterloo - Created in 1829 from parts of Junius. Elisha Williams planned much of the thriving village that was first known as New Hudson. In 1822, it became one of the two county seats (Ovid).